Information for Foreign Students on Campus

International Exchange and Overseas Study Top Page > [Information for Foreign Students on Campus] 7 Emergencies and Disasters

7 Emergencies and Disasters

Contact Information in the Case of Emergencies

In an emergency, you can contact the police at "110" to report crimes, such as theft, or the fire station at "119" if fire and ambulance services are required.
Contacting the University in Emergencies: Foreign Student Affairs, Student Affairs Section 0742-27-9148


In the case of theft (crime) on campus, call "110" immediately and follow the police instructions.
In the case of lost property, please contact Foreign Student Affairs, Student Affairs Section.
If your credit cards, bankbooks, or cash cards are stolen (or lost), please contact your bank immediately in order to put a stop on your account, and also notify the police straight away.

Traffic Accidents

Accidents involving cars, bicycles or pedestrians occur frequently, so please take extra care. If somebody suffers injury, call 119 immediately for an ambulance, and also 110 for the police to notify them of the location and situation.
Make sure to obtain the other drivers' name, their place of work, their telephone number, and the license plate number of the car involved in the accident, in addition to their car insurance details.
If possible, also obtain the name and the contact details for any witnesses.
When the police turn up, please follow their instructions.


Please make sure to familiarize yourself with the location of fire extinguishers, and participate in fire drills.
If you are faced with a fire situation, please try your best to put it out yourself. If this is not possible, call 119 immediately to call out the fire service, and call out loudly to make neighbors aware of the danger.


There is always the danger of earthquakes in Japan, and it is important to respond calmly in the case of one.
Please be sure to check the location of evacuation points nearby before such an incident occurs.
If an earthquake happens, turn off the electricity and gas to prevent incidence of fire.
The worst and most dangerous thing you can do is panic. Protect your head and evacuate the building calmly.


In Japan, typhoons with strong winds and heavy rain are frequent between July and September. Please prepare torches and a portable radio in advance to cope with possible blackouts.
If you leave property on a balcony, it may be blown away by wind, so it is important to bring it inside or secure it well. Do not venture out unless it is absolutely necessary, and act appropriately according to the weather information.