Overseas Study Programs at Nara University of Education

International Exchange and Overseas Study Top Page > [Overseas Study Program] 2 Safety Precautions While Traveling and Residing Overseas

2 Safety Precautions While Traveling and Residing Overseas

About "Notification of Overseas Travel"

Those students who are to participate in overseas study programs are required to submit "Notification of Overseas Travel" documentation (Designated forms are available.) so that the university can provide them with as much assistance as possible in the event of any accidents or disasters that may occur during their stay.

It is our hope that our students will grow to become individuals who can play an important role in international society through international exchanges and the experience of different cultures. However, it is an unfortunate fact that there may be certain threats to one's personal safety while staying overseas, such as accidents, terrorist incidents, and infectious diseases, so, therefore, please make sure to collect accurate information and take all necessary precautions in order to protect yourself from possible risks while traveling and residing overseas.

Information Gathering

Please make sure to gather information on security and safety in the destination country and acknowledge that you need to protect yourself. There is a wealth of information available concerning global and regional situations from a variety of sources. For example, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan provides comprehensive risk assessment information on their website.


Please make sure to purchase travel insurance from non-life insurance companies for cover in the case of accidents and sickness while traveling and residing overseas. Some partner universities actually require students to enroll in an insurance policy with a local agent, and in these cases, it is recommended you obtain both policies as the coverage for each may differ.

[Expensive Medical Costs and Transfer Costs]
Example (America): Hospitalization costs can amount to over one million yen per day. If family members travel over to expedite the return of the patient to Japan, the cost may exceed 20 million yen. Therefore, it is advisable to purchase an insurance policy with unlimited cover. In addition, in the case of dentistry, some treatment may not be covered by insurance.

Contacting Family and the University

Please make sure to inform your family of essential information concerning your travel plans before departure, such as travel itinerary, accommodation and contact information. If there are any changes to the Notification of Overseas Travel documentation after submission, please make sure to notify the Student Affairs, Student Affairs Section of the new information. In the event you are involved in an accident or a disaster, please contact your family and the university immediately with an update on your safety status.

Overseas Resident Registration at a Japanese Embassy or Consulate

Those Japanese who intend to reside or stay in a particular place for three months or longer are required to go through overseas resident registration at a Japanese Embassy or Consulate. (Article 16, Passport Law)